A quick thank you might suffice, or you can be more detailed and explain to them exactly why their actions have improved your life. It’s not only important to educate yourself about your needs. It’s just as important to let your support group know exactly what they can do to help you. You’re not going to be able to get much support from them if they don’t know how they can be of assistance. Attempting to struggle through recovery on your own can be extremely difficult. Not only make you become prone to loneliness, but you will have nobody to voice your struggle to.
- This is an international online community specifically for women in recovery from alcohol use disorder.
- Living in a world in which you feel like you’re the only person who knows about your problem is a very lonely way to live.
- Thirteenth stepping is generally frowned upon, as it’s viewed more as a predatory attempt to have sex rather than develop a relationship.
- Now, it stands to reason that you’re going to be constructing your support network primarily to include other people in recovery.
- Our facilities remain open for treatment, we are expanding virtual services, and we remain dedicated to our clients and their recovery.
Consider reaching out to a vocational rehabilitation counselor or career coach to help you update your resume, practice job interview skills, and locate jobs that match your skills and experience. Having a chaotic or disorganized lifestyle can also hinder your recovery.
Most people who make their way into recovery have left a lot of pain and suffering in their wake. Feeling guilty or ashamed of past behavior or actions during active addiction is natural and healthy.
- Being surrounded by people who support them makes a recovering person realize that they are trying their best, and others recognize that.
- In these programs, it’s customary to receive plastic chips as you progress to the one-year mark, at which time you receive a bronze coin.
- Typically, we did step work and until I was all the way through the steps.
- If they reject you, then put it on the back burner for now.
- A recovering individual usually has an uphill battle to leave their addiction behind.
You still want to take things slow, but you can start slowly testing the waters. If you want to add to your support network by developing a close relationship with someone you find attractive, then that’s just fine as long as you’re certain that you are ready. Just don’t forget to continue looking for someone who embodies the qualities we’ve already discussed. You might even consider dating sober networking another addict or alcoholic, as long as they also have a year and are solid in their recovery. There’s even an online dating website called Somebody Sober, geared specifically toward those who are serious about recovery and looking for someone who feels the same way. Please remember that building new friendships takes time, even when you both share the common goal of staying in recovery.
How to Build a Support System in Addiction Recovery
Therefore, you should normalize clear, open communication and always communicate your needs while you allow the members of your support network to learn and adjust. Research has shown for quite some time that a support network is important for helping people in recovery avoid relapse. https://ecosoberhouse.com/ Unfortunately, this creates a challenge for people who are attempting to enter recovery. They may feel that their relationships are damaged beyond repair, or they may feel that the people they would typically rely on for social support may not be available or willing to assist them.
When this happens, you can be certain that all of the people in your class share at least one similar interest as you. This can be a great way to meet new people and further your recovery.